Tropical depressions and storms that may develop into hurricanes occur in the North Atlantic and Northeast Pacific oceans. The east and Gulf coasts of the United States (including Florida, Louisiana and Texas), Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are the most threatened areas. If you choose to travel during the hurricane season (June 1 to November 30), you may be affected by these storms. You should:
• Confirm travel arrangements prior to departure and ensure that your travel insurance allows for trip cancellation/interruption in the event of a hurricane.
• Ensure that detailed information – including the name of the tour operator, flight details, hotel name, location, room number and telephone numbers, cruise ship details and itineraries – is left with family or friends in Canada.
• Ensure that page 4 of your passport is filled out properly, and leave copies of all travel documents with someone in Canada.
• Consider registering with the responsible Canadian government office abroad through Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada’s registration service. Registration can be done on-line or by calling the responsible Canadian government office abroad to request a registration form.
• Monitor local news broadcasts and weather reports carefully, follow the advice, including departure orders, of local authorities and/or tour operators, and know how to contact the nearest Canadian government office abroad (embassy, high commission or consulate).
• Carry details on how to contact Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada’s Operations Centre
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/contact/emergency_urgence-eng.asp or call 1-800-267-6788 or 613-996-8885, which operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and accepts emergency collect calls from Canadians requiring assistance abroad.
Up-to-date weather forecasts for the region are available from the National Hurricane Center at http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
Travel Reports: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada have issued the following updates on travel to:
Warning level: Exercise high degree of caution
Two 24-hour general strikes took place throughout Greece on May 5 and 20, 2010, resulting in the deaths of three people following violent protests in Athens. Another 24-hour strike is planned later in June. Subsequent to government budget cuts, the strikes and demonstrations have increased and are expected to continue to occur throughout the summer months, possibly on short notice. Canadians are reminded to avoid large public gatherings and demonstrations as they can turn violent without notice.
It Pays to Book Early.
One vacation leads to another. Book a minimum 7-night WestJet Vacations package by June 15, 2010, for travel until October 31, 2010 and receive a $200 WestJet air only online promo code.* It’s that simple. Your toughest decision will be deciding where to go. Start your dream vacation today.
*Early booking offer: $200 promo and coupon codes are based on one $100 discount per adult (age 18+), maximum two promo and coupon codes per room booked, for each WestJet Vacations air and minimum 7- night hotel booking made between April 19, 2010 and June 15, 2010 for travel completed by October 31, 2010. Discount will be provided in the form of a promotional one-time use code(s) to be used at westjet.com. Offer applies to new bookings only. Vacation group bookings are not eligible. WestJet Vacations booking cancellations: Within 21 days (inclusive) prior to departure, 100% forfeit of any discount amount. With 22 days or more prior to departure, cancellations subject to a $75 fee + GST per person plus a 100% forfeit of any discount, with the remainder refunded.
Promo Code and Coupon Codes: Promo and Coupon codes are valid for use on WestJet air only bookings and will be issued as follows: 1 adult per room – 1 promo and coupon code valid for $100; 2 adults per room – 2 promo and coupon codes each valid for $100 per adult. To redeem promo and coupon codes, reservations can only be booked online at westjet.com. Both promo code and coupon codes must be entered at time of booking on the first page of the booking process and can be used for one guest only. Booking must be made by December 31, 2010 (11:59 CT) and travel must occur before March 31, 2011. Travel blackout dates are as follows: October 7-12, December 16-31, 2010 and January 1-4, 2011. Applicable to new online bookings only. No cash value. 100% non-refundable. Any unused amount will be forfeited. Promo and coupon codes are non- transferable, non combinable with other promo and coupon codes or promotional offers. Promo and coupon codes cannot be used towards the purchase of a WestJet Vacations package or WestJet group air booking. Promo and coupon codes are valid for one time use only. Lost or stolen promo and coupon codes result in a forfeit of discount and are no longer valid. WestJet reserves the right to amend, extend or discontinue this offer at any time by giving 24 hours notice.